ABOUT LIQUID SILICONE RUBBER
Nowadays, Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR)
used as an alternative to manufacturing with traditional solid silicone-rubber elastomers,
due to their unique technological advantages, as presented below.
Liqud Silicone Rubbers are widely used in injection moulding,
fabric coating, dipping and extrusion coating processes.
While grade dependant, the addition-crosslinking silicone rubber
vulcanises within a few seconds at mould temperatures of 140-230°C.
Short vulcanisation times and ease of demoulding permit automated production of
large numbers of articles per time unit.
Technological advantages of LSR are the following:
- easy mixing and processing
- fully compounded, ready to process
- very short cycle times depending on wall thickness and part design
- easy demoulding
- flashless moulding
- post curing frequently not needed
- good direct bonding to specific insert components
- superior clarity
- low odour and neutral taste
- usable over a wide temperature range from –60°C to +180°C
- good elastic properties
- very good UV and ozone rezistance
- atmosferic ageing stability
- low moisture pick-up and resistant to many solvents
- good dielectric properties over a wide range of temperatures
- silicone rubber is not readily combustible, does not melt or drip and smoke toxicity is very low.
Applications of LSR include parts for the following fields: